Friday 12 November 2010

Capture - Bad Day Music VIdeo

We have been set an assignment to produce a music video and another discipline that we can create promotional material with. 
I am going to create a poster to promote my chosen artist and the music video I am going to create. I am also going to try and create a poster for my artist. 
I am going to create a mind map with all the ideas I could use in my music video, for example I could create a shot of someone writing down the lyrics.
Music Ideas: We have to find a piece of music that isn't well known or doesn't have an image already so that we can make our own interpretation without being lead by the existing image.
I would like the lyrics of the song to have a meaning. The one thing that many people can relate to is social issues such as bullying, family problems or friends so i am hoping to find a song that will relate to this.
A song that has really strong lyrics about friendship is 'Shame' by Robbie Williams and Gary Barlow but because the song is newly out, and involves popular people so they already have an image. The song is about 2 friends who have fallen out many years ago and have forgiven each other and made up. Many people have experienced this or will experience this in their lifetimes.
Lyrics:
Well there's 3 versions of this story mine, 
yours and then the truth 
And we can put it down to circumstance, 
...our childhood, then our youth 
Out of some sentimental gain I wanted you to feel my pain 
but it came back return to sender 
I read your mind and tried to call, 
my tears could fill the Albert Hall, 
is this the sound of sweet surrender? 

What a shame we never listened 
I told you through the television 
And all that went away was the price we paid 
People spend a lifetime this way 
Oh what a shame. 

So I got busy throwing everybody underneath the bus 
And with your poster 30 foot at the back of Toys R Us 
I wrote a letter in my mind, 
but the words were so unkind, 
about a man I can't remember 
I don't recall the reasons why, 
I must have meant them at the time, 
is this the sound of sweet surrender? 

What a shame we never listened 
I told you through the television 
And all that went away was the price we paid 
People spend a lifetime this way 
And that's how they stay 
Oh! what a shame! 

Words come easy, when they're true. 
Words come easy, when they're true. 

So I got busy throwing everybody underneath the bus 
And with your poster 30 foot at the back of Toys R Us 
Now we can put it down to circumstance, 
our childhood then our youth. 

What a shame we never listened, 
I told you through the television 
And all that went away was the price we paid 
People spend a lifetime this way 
And that's how they stay 
Oh! what a shame! 

People spend a lifetime this way 
Oh! what a shame! 
Such a shame, what a shame

The next song I thought of was 'Bad day' by Daniel Powter.
The Lyrics:
Where is the moment we needed the most ?
You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost
You tell me your blue skies fade to grey
You tell me your passion's gone away and I don't need no carryin' on
You stand in the line just to hit a new low
You're faking a smile with the coffee to go
You tell me your life's been way off line
You're falling to pieces every time and I don't need no carryin' on

Because you had a bad day, you're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know, you tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day, the camera don't lie
You're coming back down and you really don't mind
You had a bad day, you had a bad day

Well, you need a blue sky holiday
The point is they laugh at what you say
And I don't need no carryin' on

You had a bad day, you're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know, you tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day, the camera don't lie
You're coming back down and you really don't mind
You had a bad day, oh... Holiday...

Sometimes the system goes on the blink
And the whole thing turns out wrong
You might not make it back and you know
That you could be well oh that strong and I'm not wrong, ahhh...

So where is the passion when you need it the most ?
Oh, you and I, you kick up the leaves and the magic is lost

'Cause you had a bad day, you're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know, you tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day, you've seen what you like
And how does it feel for one more time
You had a bad day, you had a bad day

(Oh, yeah, yeaaah, yeah) Had a bad day
(Oh, had a bad day) Had a bad day
(Oh, yeah, yeah, yeeeeah) Had a bad day
(Oh, had a bad day) Had a bad day, had a bad day...


The meaning of this song can be taken as if you had a bad day, you have to bare with with it and smile and it will all work out in the end even in a way that you don't expect it to. It can also be taken as liking someone who acts like you don't exist and you may actually have more in common than you realise and your probably perfect for each other but they don't notice.




About Daniel Powter
Birth Name: Daniel Richard Powter
Born: 25th February 1971
Origin: Vernon, British Columbria, Canada
Genres: Piano rock, Pop rock
Occupations: Singer-songwriter, Pianist
Years Active: 2000-2009
Labels: Warner Bros, Sony BMG


Official Website for Daniel Powter: http://www.danielpowter.com/ 


Daniel Powter Album Covers




Daniel Powter: Song 6, Free Loop, Bad Day, Suspect, Lie To Me, Jimmy Gets High, Styrofoam, Hollywood, Lost On The Stoop, Get Me Life.

This album cover uses calm colour, mostly yellows and beige's. Also the way he is leaning looks calm and relaxed. The font that has been used has rounded edges and makes it look more comforting. The 'd' and the 'p' look quite effective because it looks like they have been rotated and flipped and also the letter doesn't join itself.

This is the Single Album Cover to Bad Day which is the song that I am going to use for my Music Video.

This album cover looks really well because it is simple. The green in the background contrasts well with his skin colour but t works well with the green hat he's wearing. The white writing also stands out quite well but it looks like its just been placed there without thought.














Under The Radar: Best Of Me, Not Coming Back, Whole World Around, Next Plane Home, Am I Still The One (with Linda Perry), Negative Fashion, Don't Give Up On Me, Fly Away, Beauty Queen, My So Called Life, Love You Lately.








Songs From Under The Radar

Songs from Under The Radar: Best Of Me, Whole World Around, Next Plane Home, Am I Still The One (with Linda Perry).
































































Music Video Research:

This album cover has been digitally manipulated. As the people in the bubbles has been put on top of the picture of the city/town. Daniel is centered in the middle and this puts all the attention on him. The writing is positioned high and it plain and simple. The writings a blue colour that goes well with the blue of the album cover.
we looked at several different music video including:
  • Black Dog (RSA FIlms) by Dawn Shadforth
  • Colenel Blimp
  • Dougal Wilson
  • Oil Factory (Check Out W.I.Z)
The Music Promo that caught my eye the most and I thought was quite effective was love lost by temper trap. 
I like this video because its really looks really simple. Also everything that goes on in the video is in time to the beat in the music, for example the splashing in the puddles and the stretches they do. It is quite a simple technique that is used that I could use for my music video as I  could sit in the back of the car and film the people behind.


Music Video Ideas:
This is a mind-map I created with all the first ideas that I might want my music video to contain.




Two Main Ideas
I have two main ideas as the song has two meanings. It depends on what meaning I want to base the video on. 
My first idea is about love. It is about two friends that who have been friends for years, and they like the same person. At the beginning of the video the girls friend flirts with the boy and they start hanging out together and the girl feels invisible and is really unhappy. The boy and the friend then start arguing and fall out and in the end the girl gets the boy and is really happy. The meaning of this video is don't give up even if you do feel invisible because it may turn round in the end. 
My second idea is based on the other meaning of the song. It is about someones day starting really bad. But they don't give up and they put on a smile and it turns around and good things happen. I would like to use effects in this video to make the meaning of the video more evident. 


Final Music Video Idea - Proposal
I have come to a decision for my music video. I wanted something that everyone can relate to and this is something that everyone should be able to relate to. The beginning of the video is going to start off with the character going about their daily lives but everything seems to be going wrong. For example things such as car going through a puddle and the character getting soaked, Being laughed at my a group of people, Tripping up a pavement and looking around to see if anyone saw, walking under a ladder and spilling a drink over themselves.
Then at the end of the song the character puts on a brave face and turns it around and gets on with her day and good things start to happen. For example she starts smiling and laughing with friends, and holding hands. 
Then the character get a message or a text message that can make her day. It could be from her boyfriend or the person she has feelings for. For example she could receive a text saying 'Just Keep Smiling :) I Love You x'. She then thinks yeah the text is right and puts on a brave face.
I want to use effects on the video so that it puts the point of the music video across better, so I am going to make the beginning of the music video in black and white. I want this to represent the dull and miserable things that are happening in the video. 
I would like to repeat some of the shots, for example the character isn't looking where she is going and steps in the puddle but then the second time she sees it and steps around it.
Clothing: At the beginning of the video the character is going to be wearing "comfy" looking clothes such as baggy t-shirts and messy hair. By the end the character is wearing tight jeans and bright t-shirts/jumpers with tidy hair and a pretty necklace.
Target Audience: The Target is for anyone as I want it to be something that everyone can relate to. But the main character is a teenager so perhaps teenagers may be able to relate to it slightly better.Shot Ideas: For the beginning of the music video I am going open the music video with a pitch black and you can hear the alarm clock go off and then when the character turns the light on you are able to see her waking up and getting out of bed to start her day.

No comments:

Post a Comment